National Signing Day was every bit as exciting and suspenseful as I thought it would be. We headed to the College Football Hall of Fame where many of Georgia’s top recruits gathered to share their news. Here were a few of my favorite parts about the day:
- It doesn’t get much better than seeing high school seniors announce their exciting plans for college. Dressed in suit and tie with their proud mothers and fathers standing by, each player had the chance to walk up on stage to announce their college choice. Afterwards they all spoke with the radio hosts about their decision as their entourage cheered them on.
- The College Football Hall of Fame itself is remarkable! The Touchdown Club of Atlanta announced that they would be hosting the “Biggest Signing Day Event in Georgia,” and the event definitely lived up to the hype. Over 150 seniors passed through! It was clear to see that Atlanta really does have some incredible talent right in its own backyard! There was even a mascot battle between the Chick-fil-A cow and Fumbles, the Hall of Fame mascot.
- The rivalries at the next level are going to be classic. From SEC battles between schools like UGA and Auburn, to classic Division 3 matchups between schools like Sewanee and Washington & Lee, National Signing Day brought it all. This might be the one time we see guys from Tennessee and USC sitting side by side cheerfully before they meet on the field in the fall.
- UGA and GT both pulled in strong classes and had representation at Atlanta’s biggest National Signing Day event. The Dawgs’ recruiting class is even in the top 10 overall for the class of 2015! Come fall, it’ll be exciting to see how the classes end up performing on the field. It is then that we will finally know which class ends up being the best. Recruiting is also more than just bringing in the most 4 and 5 star recruits for a team. Coaches have to bring in athletes that fit their system and that will perform well against top competition.
And just like that, National Signing Day 2015 has come to an end. The fax machines are being stored away for the next 364 days until it is time to unveil the class of 2016. However, for now, fan bases across the United States are rejoicing over their exciting new players for the coming year. And one thing’s for sure, all of us at Competitive Sports Analysis can’t wait to see what these new recruits will do at the next level!
Interested in learning more about how coaches find the “best fit” players for their teams? Make sure to check out our coaching tool, scoutSMART, and follow us on Twitter for all the latest recruiting updates and news.
- Virginia Zakas, product marketing manager